When I feel anxious, these are my symptoms of anxiety. My brain goes blank, which is not unusual for me as I have memory problems, but this is like a fog descending, and it makes it difficult for me to think. I also get the urge to clean, my little quirk, and my breathing becomes faster. These aren’t peculiar to me, and others have far more symptoms than I do.
Have a look at the list below to see if you suffer from anxiety, I’ve used the list on Rethink and added my own take on them.
Symptoms of Anxiety
- racing thoughts and this can lead to speech problems; I have trouble getting my words out
- uncontrollable over-thinking, worry and concern does not stress it enough; this is all-consuming
- difficulties concentrating, this is the brain fog I was on about
- feelings of dread, panic or ‘impending doom’; this also happens with depression
- feeling irritable and snappy at others, this is the fight side of anxiety
- heightened alertness, you might feel like a deer and constantly jumping at the slightest noise or light change
- problems with sleep, stress can stop you from sleeping and then because you haven’t slept, the anxiety increases
- changes in appetite, when there is a lot of stress chemicals rushing around your body, your appetite reduces
- wanting to escape from the situation you are in, this is the flight side of anxiety
- dissociation. Some people find objects or animals strange, even people. Some remove themselves mentally from a situation and/or physically.