You can submit to the website, and I believe in paying for content; if you’ve gone to the trouble to write something decent, I will gather the pennies together to pay you. I can’t pay very much, but hopefully, if the site becomes extremely popular, I will pay more, but I can pay £10 for a short story, a maximum of 1500 words or a piece of poetry max 40 lines.
You can also submit true personal stories about your mental health experience, and I pay £5 for these; I know it is not a lot, I hope it will increase shortly. You can remain anonymous or use your real name. It is up to you.
The Rules & Help
I dislike rules but I have to have a few and here they are:
- Submission is free.
- The personal story must be either anxiety, depression or bipolar focused. 700 to 1500 words.
- Poetry must not be horrific or depressive; it must be uplifting, thought-provoking, stimulating, nice, eclectic, but above all, not solemn. Max 40 lines.
- Short stories should have a little bit of humour in them and not be gory or about depression; the magazine and website aim to improve mental health, not make it worse. Max 1500 words.
- By submitting to the website, you agree to have your work published on the website. It is only published once online.
- You still retain all copyright of your story or poem, but I ask for three months without publication elsewhere; after this time, you are free to republish it.
- If your piece of writing is not acceptable, it is usually because it does not fit my vision, my non-acceptance does not reflect on your writing skills. So keep going.
- If you submit a story or poem, you will be given an authors bio; please remember to add your links in your email and what you would like your bio to say. It must be about 150 words but no more than 200.
- Payment is upon acceptance of your work and agreement to publication.
- Please submit in either word or odf. Or paste into the email. You can submit images as well, especially if you want a profile pic.
- It may take me a week or two to get back to you, but I read all of the submissions several times over a few days before I make a decision.
- Payment will be via PayPal.
- Email lou @ loufarrell.com to submit your work. Put the title of the email in caps, e.g. ATTN: POEMS FOR LOU makes it easier for me to spot.